A common, but severe oral health condition that often arises in men and women alike is known as gum disease. Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is an oral health condition that arises due to infections within your gum tissue. If gum disease is present, tooth slippage and eventual tooth loss can occur. Risk factors for gum disease include the following:
– Dry mouth is a condition in which your mouth does not have enough saliva. This commonly leads to gum disease, and can be caused by poor eating habits and medications that produce dry mouth as a side effect.
– Genetics can make individuals up to six times more likely to develop symptoms of gum disease.
– Hormonal changes within the body can increase your risk of gingivitis, which is an early stage of gum disease.
– Drug use is a known risk factor for gum disease.
– If you smoke or chew tobacco, gum disease can arise.
– Diabetes not only increases your risk for gum disease but numerous other infectious diseases as well.
– Pregnancy is a lesser-known but common risk factor for gum disease.
Always make time in your life to visit your dentist at Bradley L. Dyer DDS PC for gum disease treatments, and if necessary, to book an appointment with Dr. Bradley Dyer for a detailed exam of your oral health. You can reach our dentist office in Sevierville, Tennessee, by calling us at 865-453-2731. We look forward to seeing you smile.